Monday, February 3, 2014

{ Mindful Monday }

 
 
"The secret of happiness is to count your blessings while others are adding up their troubles." ~ William Penn
 
As we begin a new week after a rather difficult and loooong weekend I'm feeling the call to really step it up and be mindful of where I am at right now. A few days ago I wrote about the drive I had to be more mindful, to release the grief, overwhelm, and frustration that had a good hold of me. Wouldn't you know, and it's rather funny in a diabolical kinda way, I was given unique reasons to use my new set of lenses and....well.....I fell flat on my face. Like I do most days. It's hard, it's really, really, hard sometimes. Between the mixes of emotion, lack of sleep, the isolation of the deep, cold winter, and feeling at sea with it all, I just couldn't meet the challenge. I let the weekend go by, largely lost in my own head sussing out feelings of anger and loneliness only to wake up this morning to be greeted with smiling eyes and open hearts. I've let that carry me through my day, snuggled in with my girls as we work on healing from the latest tummy troubles and colds that have set in. I held each one, smelled their hair, felt their warm little bodies against mine and thanked God for my life. All of it. The good, the bad, and the ugly.
I am thankful that while we spend a lot more time doing this than I'd like, at least we're all together.
 
 
I'm thankful for the little changes that help me to feel refreshed, like bangs. I cut my own one night while I was enjoying the first bit of quiet all day (it was at 11:00pm after everyone had gone to bed, mind you). I love them. I have never wanted bangs before, even when I was younger and not in control of my hairstyle, bangs were not for me. Until now :) They are just enough of a change to bring a sense of peace to my pajama days and sleepless nights.
 
 
I am joyously celebrating and in awe that we've come a full month since D's birth. She is such a delightful baby, so content and peaceful. I'm lucky enough to waste away much of my sitting time holding her and soaking her in with wonder and amazement. Her life is such a gift, to all of us.
 
 
 
If it weren't for my amazing husband these girls wouldn't see the outdoors hardly at all. I'm in hibernation mode, folks. There's no reason for me to go outdoors unless I've taken on chores that require me going outside. And it's way cold, too cold for our littlest lady to be traipsing about the countryside. I do, however, very much look forward to Lady Spring's arrival. I miss the fresh air and sunshine. I know she's just around the corner which gives D just enough time to get ready. In the meantime, Daddy-O rocks!
 
 
Our chickens are still laying eggs for us even though temperatures have been ridiculously cold (-25 at times). We've harvested (well Lee has with our homesteading neighbors) a couple of pigs which has stocked our freezer heartily and made for a wonderful amount of rich stews and bacon. If there was anything more refreshing in the depths of winter that is fresh bacon and eggs to warm up the morning.
 
As the blustery winter continually descends upon us, I will eagerly look back and be reminded of this place that I've discovered. I am lovingly embracing the fact that I've reached the doldrums but revel in the fact that I will rise above and can "rest and be thankful".
 
 
 
 









No comments :

Post a Comment