Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Yarn Along


 
I'm joining along with Ginny from Small Things for this week's yarn along.
 
I joined my first yarn along a few weeks ago with an attempt at knitting my first cowl in the round (first time for that, too). Sadly, I've had to put it down for a bit. Since I'm such a novice my stitches are way too tight, I'm using wooden needles which I'm finding to be not quite as easy to use, all of this combined has caused the one finger I have arthritis in to flair up which makes knitting not so enjoyable. I have a basket that I've dedicated to my other WIPs (sewing, felting projects, etc) so there it will sit, for now.
 
As a way to rest my finger but keep my hands moving I've decided to pick up crocheting. I haven't spent much time with this modality but I've crocheted a few motifs here and there over the years. I've discovered the Crochet Mood Blanket for 2014 via Instagram and thought that it might be fun (for more information on this project check out their Facebook page. It's a closed group so you will need to ask to join. Over 2200 have joined so far with just as many different styles of granny squares it seems. So cool!).
 
So, with the little stash I have of various yarns I've begun putting together a few granny squares. I'll have to spend a bit of time at the yarn shop this weekend and refill my yarn basket as I've quickly become addicted to remembering how to make granny squares, and now learning new styles, that I'm just about out of yarn!
 
As for our reading, we began James and the Giant Peach this week. It's one of the girls all time favorite stories. I, however, am reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (I forgot to put that in the photograph) and Lee is reading Songlines by Bruce Chatwin (a reread for him and I forgot to photograph that one, as well). Either way, it's a reading frenzy here, a perfect way to spend these cold, snowy days and nights.
 
On the needles in the photo is the beginning of Charlotte's first knitting. She mastered casting on rather quickly and has now taken to the knit stitch. Slowly but surely she will have her first work going well on her own. Wish her luck :)
 
 
 
 

8 comments :

  1. what a great project... the blanket. can't wait to see it all complete. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It will be a 2015 New Year project, finishing it anyway. Hopefully I can attach as I go so I won't be overwhelmed with 365 squares :)

      Delete
  2. Your squares look beautiful, I love the shades. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you xoxo It's been fun to see the random colors I have come together.

      Delete
  3. I love to see all the mood squares on IG. I need to learn how to crochet! Great book too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a personal experience, but I've heard that square needles can be much easier on arthritic fingers/hands. Might give that a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Charlotte! I love those first knitted items! So precious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely to see what everyone has on their needles or hooks. I do love the colours you're using they're lovely. Good luck to Charlotte, it's so lovely when the children want to join in on the fun.

    ReplyDelete