Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Yarn Along



I'm joining Ginny at Simple Things for my very first EVER Yarn Along. 

As most of you know, we had our baby 2 weeks ago. It's been a whirlwind of joy, exhaustion, overwhelm, and anxiety. I'm always amazed at how quickly my brain bounces back from pregnancy. After giving birth, not only does my stomach and other abdominal organs have extra room to groove but so does my brain! I'm able to contemplate things, think about taking on other tasks without feeling burdened, dream about learning something new and then begin it.......like knitting and reading a new book! I've been teaching myself how to knit for over a year now. I've learned, thanks to YouTube videos, how to cast on, knit, purl, knit in back loop, k2tog, increase stitches (need a refresher), knitting in the round, and cast off. This puts me in a neat place of starting a fun project. Scarves just seem so redundant to me, however, I'm beginning one with Charlotte since I've been teaching her to knit as of  her 6th birthday a week ago (but that's a post for another time!). I've also begun a cowl. A friend of mine suggested I start there since I expressed my boredom with scarves. I hadn't knitted in the round before. I tried once but didn't realize I needed to connect the stitches together (silly, I know, but I'm a newbie!!). I learned how to connect the stitches and off I've gone. It takes me a bit of time to knit a row, but, I know the flow of knitting happens over time. I love the yarn I'm using. I don't recall the name of it but it's a melody of beautiful colors and is a wool/mohair blend. So soft and easy to use.
Here is a link to the cowl that I'm intending to make.

As far as my new read, I am a die-hard Paulo Coelho fan. I've read several of his books and am always left pondering each chapter. His writing is so fluid and intriguing. If you haven't read his work, go......check out a book at the library, begin with The Alchemist or The Pilgrimage. They are beautifully inspiring and thought provoking.

I can't wait to see how far I get on this cowl by next week. I'm sure it won't be as far as I expect to get but, I'm thrilled to be motivated, nonetheless.

Happy Yarning! 

8 comments :

  1. that is going to be a lovely cowl. great yarn choice. good luck with the new knitting skill :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! It's coming along but will be sitting aside for a while. Starting a bit of crochet at the moment. I hope you're well xoxo

      Delete
  2. congrats on the baby and I remember having more room in my belly and my brain :) Oh to be able to digest!! What a concept. Love how your knitting matches your book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! And it was totally accidental about the color combinations! Serendipitous, I guess :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to your new beginnings! I love the colour of your yarn and it even corresponds with the book cover :-) You are very brave to learn knitting all by your self but I'm sure you will get endless pleasure and peace out of it. And it is so quick and rewarding knitting little things for little ones too! Enjoy these wonderful preacious first weeks! Lena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lena! So sweet of you to come by and send me well wishes! I've enjoyed learning to knit and other various stitches. It is very gratifying and peaceful, indeed!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the new baby! I just finished my first circular needle project a hat, and found it quite easy. Good luck with the cowl. The yarn you are using is quite pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathie! The yarn is wonderful, one of my favorites! I've used it for many little projects for my littles (gnome clothes mostly!). I can't wait to begin hats once I get this one finished! Thank you for stopping by xo

      Delete