Saturday, January 11, 2014

Welcome 2014 and a Homestead Update

"My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance." ~ Erma Bombeck

This has been my motto as of late. 


It's been a whirlwind here in our little home. Since Christmas we've had all seven of us succumb to a nasty stomach bug, altering our holiday plans because one or two of us were sick. It wasn't horrible to spend the holidays with just ourselves, it was a new experience, in fact. Usually we are all packed up and out of the house by 10am to go spend Christmas somewhere else; it was nice to be tucked away with my loves. And seeing as I was 9 months pregnant, it was nice to just leisurely be around the house, loving everyone up. 


This was a photo taken of me just before Christmas. We had 8 inches of snow, I was unbelievably pregnant, hiking hilly terrain with my sweet husband to find our Christmas tree. It was a successful venture, baby didn't come out any sooner because of the walk, but we had a lovely tree for Christmas!

Many a day was spent with dear Dad outside, chicken wrangling, sheep shepherding, snow shoveling, wood chopping, winter wonderland adventuring, and just plain 'ol loving life with.


 I spent much time inside nesting, cleaning, organizing, washing, folding laundry, and doing all those things one does when they are eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new baby. 


At long last, our newest little baby came to join our family Earthside. She is a wise little Star as she waited until every single person in the house had the stomach bug before her arrival (including me! I went into labor in the early morning after having had the bug) : making sure I would be able to focus on the sicklings and not be torn between newborn and the other children who most certainly needed me present. Lee and I joked about how horrible it would be for me to catch the bug and go into labor. At least she waited until the worst of it passed for me before we endured labor pains. My mantra during her birth was "Gentle, baby. Gentle, baby." I was hoping to manifest a gentle birth in order for my weakened and ill body to be able to relax and  deliver with peace and ease. It worked. Thankfully. Daphne Ramona Snow came to us swiftly and gently (and during a blizzard). I was up and about in no time and although my body is needing the extra time to heal and recoup, we're all doing wonderfully.  


The New Year is also the birthday of our dearest Charlotte. She turned 6 shortly after Daphne was born. This bright light is ready for big thing this year and is excited to learn all about archery, knitting, roman numerals, painting, and science projects. School for us has been a bit lackluster as I forgot how mentally lazy I become towards the end of pregnancy and with the holidays, it was almost impossible to keep up. The New Year will most certainly bring a bit of normalcy to her homeschool rhythm, something we've all missed.


"For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning."
~T.S. Eliot

We look forward to new beginnings. We look forward to engaging more here. 2014 is set up to be a wonderful, bountiful year. Wishing you all glorious new beginnings. 






4 comments :

  1. oh my. your baby is beautiful. <3 we are still awaiting our newest arrival sometime in the next couple of weeks. :) i am so happy you posted something, i have been wondering how you all were doing. such a great update. we also had the nasty tummy bug just after christmas. so glad it hit us all at once, although it was hard it was done in about 5 days. LOL much love and many blessings to your family. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so eager to hear about your new bundle!!! Many blessings to you and your beautiful family, darling xoxo

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! What a beautiful little girl.

    ReplyDelete